Expunging Court Records

The information contained on this web page is provided as a courtesy to members of the public, and shall not be construed as legal advice. If you have questions, contact the Wisconsin Bar Association Lawyer Referral and Information Service 800-362-9082 for additional assistance.

I would Like My Criminal Record Expunged. How Can I Do That?

The court can expunge criminal records in only three circumstances:

  1. For crimes carrying a 6-year or less maximum period of imprisonment, committed by a person under age 25, where the sentence is successfully completed (Wis. Stat. § 973.015). At sentencing, the court will order that the record be expunged when the defendant successfully completes their sentence.
  2. In juvenile cases when the juvenile reaches age 17 and has satisfactorily complied with the conditions of the dispositional order (Wis. Stat. § 938.355(4m)). Upon reaching age 17, the person must petition the court to expunge the record.
  3. If you committed a commercial sex act as a victim of human trafficking. See Wis. Stat. § 973.015(2m).

Other than these three situations, a judge has no other authority or power to expunge cases. There is no authority to expunge other types of cases, for example civil or small claims cases.

See Expunging Court Records: Helpful Information and Frequently Asked Questions (PDF) for more information.