Death certificates for deaths occuring prior to September 1, 2013 are filed in the Register of Deeds office of the county where the death occurred, as well as in the county of residence. Death certificates for deaths occurring on September 1, 2013 to the present can be obtained from any county's Register of Deeds office. A certified copy may be required to settle an estate or to claim insurance benefits.
A certified copy of a death certificate issued by our office will be printed on security paper with raised seals. State law restricts who may obtain a certified copy of a death certificate. A certified copy can only be issued to the following people:
- an immediate family member (spouse, registered domestic partner, child, parent, sibling, or grandparent of the decedent)
- a person authorized in writing by one of the above. (The written authorization must accompany the request and the relationship of the authorizing party to the decedent must be clearly explained.)
- a person who can demonstrate that the death certificate is required to protect a personal or property right.
If you meet one of the above criteria, you may receive a certified copy of the death certificate.
- For Pre-2003 death certificates, a certified copy will automatically include cause of death and disposition information.
- For 2003 and later death certificates, you must specify if you want a "Fact of Death" certificate (which does not include cause of death and disposition information) or if you require the "Extended Fact of Death" certificate (which includes cause of death and disposition information).
If you do not meet one of the above criteria, you cannot receive a certified copy of a death certificate.
If you are entitled to receive a certified copy and are able to come to the office in person, the fee is $20 and the copy will be made while you wait. Proof of ID is required. Office hours are 8 am through 4 pm, Monday through Friday.
To order a death certificate by mail, please complete an application from the Forms and Documents section of this website. The fee is $20, check or money order, and the certified copy will be sent via regular mail, usually on the same day we receive your request.
Additional copies of the same record, ordered at the same time, are $3 each with any of the methods of ordering.