Find an Attorney
If you have been charged with a crime, you have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford to hire an attorney, one will be appointed to you. This process, however, is not automatic. You must make attempts to hire an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney you should apply for representation with the State Public Defender’s Office.
To see if you qualify, contact the Oconto County Public Defender’s Office at:
101 Ogden Road #C
Peshtigo, WI 54157
Court Appointed Attorney
If you do not qualify for a Public Defender and you cannot afford to hire an attorney, you can apply for a Court Appointed Attorney to represent you. You must complete the following forms:
- Form GF-152A Petition for Appointment of An Attorney, Affidavit of Indigency
- Complete the caption (top section).
- Oconto County Circuit Court requires you to complete both Section 1 & 2 of the Petition. Do not sign until you are in front of a notary.
- Form GF-152B Order on Petition for Appointment of an Attorney, Affidavit of Indigency
- Complete only the caption (top section).
- The forms should be filled out completely, signed, and notarized BEFORE you come to court. Notaries are available in the Clerk of Courts Office. Please be sure to have a valid driver’s license or photo I.D.
You always have the option to retain an attorney on your own without the court’s involvement.
Waiver of Right to Attorney
If you wish to waive your right to an attorney and represent yourself during your criminal court proceeding, Form CR-226 Waiver of Right to Attorney must be completed. This form should be filed with the Clerk of Courts.