Court Hearing Requested

The information contained on this web page is provided as a courtesy to members of the public, and shall not be construed as legal advice. If you have questions, contact the Wisconsin Bar Association Lawyer Referral and Information Service at (800) 362-9082 for additional assistance.

Scheduling a Court Hearing to Change Order

Wisconsin Statutes allow individuals to request a court hearing to change (modify) a court order or judgment in two ways:

Do not use the Notice of Motion and Motion to Change or Order to Show Cause and Affidavit to Change if:

NOTICE: Family and divorce laws change often. These forms may not be appropriate for all situations. They are intended to be useful in many cases and may have to be changed in some way to fit each case. Court staff cannot give legal advice.

Preparing and Going to Court

Bring the following items with you to the court hearing:

  • Proof of Service
  • Completed Income and Expense Statement, if necessary
  • Three copies of any documentation you think may help your make your case to the court
  • Individuals to testify on your behalf. A letter, affidavit, email or text from them may not be acceptable.

Please do not bring children to the court hearing.

Check in with the Family Court Commissioner’s Office Room 1174 at least 5 minutes before the scheduled court time. Parties are expected to be on time.

Present your case to the Court

  • Be prepared to state your side of each issue clearly and completely.
  • Be prepared to answer questions that may be asked of you by the Court or others.
  • Be prepared to submit the completed Income and Expense Statement to the Court if a revision of financial orders is being requested.

Be prepared to provide evidence. Make two (2) additional copies of any exhibits you are intending to submit to the Court. The Court will keep the original exhibit. One copy is for the opposing party and the other copy is for yourself.

Courteousness and proper decorum is required at all court appearances.