I Would Like My Criminal Record Expunged. How Can I Do That?

The court can expunge criminal records in only three circumstances:

  1. For crimes carrying a 6-year or less maximum period of imprisonment, committed by a person under age 25, where the sentence is successfully completed (Wis. Stat. § 973.015). At sentencing, the court will order that the record be expunged when the defendant successfully completes their sentence.
  2. In juvenile cases when the juvenile reaches age 17 and has satisfactorily complied with the conditions of the dispositional order (Wis. Stat. § 938.355(4m)). Upon reaching age 17, the person must petition the court to expunge the record.
  3. If you committed a commercial sex act as a victim of human trafficking. See Wis. Stat. § 973.015(2m).

Other than these three situations, a judge has no other authority or power to expunge cases. There is no authority to expunge other types of cases, for example civil or small claims cases.

See Expunging Court Records: Helpful Information and Frequently Asked Questions (PDF) for more information.

Show All Answers

1. How can I find my court date?
2. How long are court records kept?
3. How much does it cost to file a case with the court?
4. How do I pay a fine or find out how much I owe?
5. How can I check to see my driver’s license status?
6. How can I enter a Not Guilty Plea to a Traffic/Forfeiture citation?
7. How do I set up a payment plan?
8. I posted cash bond in a criminal action. How do I get my bond money back?
9. How do I file a civil case?
10. What can I do about a judgment listed on my credit report?
11. How do I get a copy of my divorce decree (Findings of Fact, Conclusions of Law with Judgment)?
12. How can I obtain an Annulment?
13. I Would Like My Criminal Record Expunged. How Can I Do That?